Monday 15 September 2014

An Explanation

Welcome to The "Long" Way Around the British Isles! 

My name is Stacey and I am creating and writing this blog on behalf of my dad, Richard Long, who is currently walking his way around the British Isles. This is his story:

"Homeless and suffering with depression, I started my walk around the coastline of Great Britain on the 25th May 2014 (30 years since joining the army) by walking around the Isles of Scilly, camping on the islands then getting a ferry back to Penzance where I set off on my journey. I started this journey initially to help me cope with PTSD after suffering a complete breakdown; but as this is the Centenary year of the start of the First World War, I also want to complete this walk in memory and honour of all who served, fought, died or survived as well as all their families. I will be wearing a kilt for the duration from the 22nd June and sleeping in a tent. I will be fundraising for Combat Stress who have helped me greatly over the past few years and Help for Heroes who always do an amazing job with our ex Servicemen and women. I will be fundraising by using two different online charity pages and taking donations with separate collection tins on route."

As he walks I will documenting all that he has seen, heard and experienced on his way. He is especially looking out for war memorials and historical buildings all of which is he photographing and sending to me! So wish him luck by reading this, following him on facebook and twitter (will cite at the end of this post) and donating whatever you can. 

Thank you, 

Stacey and Rich.

Facebook: 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Long-way-around-the-British-Isles/602335226531242

Twitter: 
@walking11000

Donate: 
http://www.bmycharity.com/RichardLong
https://www.justgiving.com/rjl68/

No comments:

Post a Comment